#2 BBQ ON THE BRAZOS - The BBQ Unicorn


UPDATE: As of July 2018, BBQ on the Brazos announced they'll be moving into a new location in Cresson.  Same great BBQ, but now you'll have to get your gas from a side of beans.

Not for vegetarians
In Texas, the country roads are all about small towns and reduced speed limits.  A convenience store, a gas station, a BBQ joint...it's pretty much the same thing from town to town.  But as you roll through Cresson, TX, you'll see something amazing...a BBQ Unicorn, aka BBQ on the Brazos.

BBQ on the Brazos isn't really on the Brazos, it's about 15 minutes away.  It's closer to a couple of ranches, although they focus on motorsports and wakesports instead of Maine-Anjou.  It's also not just a BBQ joint.  It's a combo gas station/convenience store/BBQ joint that serves high quality 'cue.  Facing the road is a large convenience store, catering to vegetarians and tobacco smokers.  Attached to the back is the revelation that is BBQ on the Brazos. It's the pinnacle of convenience, a place where you can get gas before, during or after your meal.

I arrived around 2 pm...a great time because it was just me and a confused dude trying to figure out what he wanted to order.

I ordered two items from the menu:  the two-meat platter and a Shanghai Surprise, a chopped beef and sausage sandwich on a fresh bun.

The brisket slices were coated in a thick, peppery bark that was absolutely perfect.  At first bite, the brisket was moist but a little dry.   It didn't matter though.  The more meat I tried, the more taste the bark and the brisket delivered.  It was as if they had rolled the beef in spices from heaven.

God's Perfect Food
I'm dreaming of it right now.   Look at it laying on the paper over there.  So tasty, so black, so peppery, so briskety. I don't know what it's coated with, but they need to store the recipe in a vault underneath Pump 6 so no one can ever steal it. Or they could give it to me so I could protect it.

My eyes were bigger than my stomach, so I packed up what was left and took it home with me. The leftovers were as good as the firstovers.  I slowly ate through each tender slice and sadly, finished it all off.

I mentioned that I ordered a Shanghai Surprise to go.  This was the best and worst idea of the day.  It was the best because I had another tremendous BBQ on the Brazos meal.  It was the worst because I left it wrapped in foil, summarily killing a bun that I think would have transformed my life. Even warmed up, it's pillowy promise shone through.  Don't make my mistake if you go to BBQOTB, eat the Shanghai Surprise while you're there.

Me, not ashamed
The memory of the brisket haunted me...in a good way. Later that day, I took the plate out of my dishwasher, hoping there would be a shard of brisket stuck to it that I could lick off. I picked through the trash to find the greasy paper, hoping for one last tender morsel. Nothing, picked clean. Stupid efficiency.

I even tried huffing the to-go bag, just to catch one more whiff of this awesome BBQ.

Oh yeah, I had two sides as well, potato salad and beans. They tasted like they were from a gas station...but I'd try them again if I ever make it back to BBQ on the Brazos, some of the best BBQ in Texas.




Comments

  1. 😁😂😄😃Love it! You are the quintessential story teller joker!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts