#22 - STANLEY'S PIT BARBECUE, I #WILLWORKFORPORK!

AN OPEN LETTER TO NICK PENCIS, OWNER OF STANLEY'S PIT BARBECUE

Dear Nick,

It was a pleasure meeting you at Stanley's Pit Barbecue last month.  I don't think I mentioned this, but my first trip to Stanley's was several years ago after a volleyball tournament.  What I remember most was trying to park in front and nearly driving into a curb...and this was before the Happy Hour.  The food was good, but it was late and I was ready for the long drive home.

Nick, can I be frank?  This experience was entirely different. From top to bottom, I think Stanley's is easily the greatest restaurant in Tyler.  It reminded me a lot of some of my favorite college town restaurants. Plus, y'all got a killer patio and some trendy bands!

Your team was incredibly friendly when I arrived.  It didn't hurt that "lunch" was at 2 pm, but I felt like everyone was focused on me.  They genuinely wanted me to have a great experience, especially after I told them I was from Dallas and was trying to eat at all 50 of Texas Monthly's Top BBQ Joints.

You, of course, turned out to be the friendliest person in the place.  I really appreciated your stories about Mr. Stanley and the BBQ business.  You're very passionate about the history of Stanley's and the food shows you're dedicated to the craft.

All hail the King of Pulled Pork!
So Nick, I have a confession to make.  I made a pig of myself while I was at Stanley's.  Like, I had a hands behind my back, smash my face in the plate, pig out moment.  I ordered a three-meat plate -- brisket, sausage and pulled pork.  The brisket and sausage were terrific, and I can't wait to have them again next time I'm in Tyler. But I want to talk to you about the pulled pork.

You know that feeling you had when you kissed a girl for the first time?  The one where the fireworks went off in your head and a Model-T horn blew your eyeballs out?  That's what happened to me after I tried the pulled pork.

OMG, the moment I tasted it everything else on the tray seemed to disappear, (which it eventually did anyway).  I'm going on the record, your pulled pork is the most perfect pulled pork in Texas.  It is the King of Pulled Pork.  It's so good, I ordered another pound of it, packed it up and had it for dinner that night.  I am hooked on it.  It's #porkingawesome.

So Nick, I have a deal for you to consider.  Let me work for you for free during any upcoming cookoff.  I'm not opening a restaurant and I don't want the recipe.  I just want to achieve BBQ nirvana while bathing in its smokey, porky goodness.  In return, you can feed me that awesome pulled pork and let me write about the experience!


I #willworkforpork! I promise I will do whatever is needed, even if it requires staying up all night, buying the beer, staying out of the way or testing the food.  It's not a problem for me, I'm obsessed.

Do we have a deal?

Sincerely,

Buzztex




Through the window, Stanley's Famous Pit Barbecue










Comments

Popular Posts