#28 - THE SMOKING OAK - It's Good to be First

One of the best places to get Hill Country-style barbecue on a Sunday morning is in Mercedes, TXThe Smoking Oak serves up outstanding smoked meats, heavily influenced by the famous barbecue artists in Austin.

After driving to Vera's Backyard Bar-B-Q in Brownsville for breakfast, I made the long haul back to hit The Smoking Oak for lunch.  In Austin, quality barbecue attracts big lines, even on a Sunday.  In Mercedes?  Not so much.

When I arrived I found nobody there, and I mean that in the best possible way.  I had beaten the crowd and received the VIP treatment.

When I arrived at 10:50 am, I was first in the parking lot.

I was first in line at 11 am when the restaurant opened.


I got the first cuts of brisket and sausage, the first spoonfuls of sides.  I was first to sit down at 11:05 am.  And I was the first to finish my meal at 11:20 am.

I had the entire restaurant to myself before the church crowd came busting through the doors.  It was a glorious 5 minutes.

Sure, there are other places in the valley that think they serve barbecue, but they can't hold a candle to The Smoking Oak.  They are the first BBQ joint in the RGV to sell Hill Country-quality barbecue.  And boy is it authentic. Tender brisket, snappy sausage, fall-off-the-bone ribs and perfectly pulled pork.  It's like eating at Franklin's except the line is shorter and it's not Franklin's.

After finishing my meal, I picked up after myself and left.

That's right, first in line, first to dine, and first to leave with "Mighty fine."

As a famous race car driver once said, "If you ain't first, you're last."  The Smoking Oak is first, and it's going to last for a long, long time.  Check it out next time you're in the Valley.








Comments

Popular Posts