#37 - PODY'S BBQ - The Picture of Success

Considering how many people live in Texas, there are very few who actually visit the western side of the state.

West Texas is nowhere near the "Texas Triangle," the area between Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston and Austin which holds the majority of Texas residents.  Ask anyone who lives in the Texas Triangle if they've ever been to Midland/Odessa, home of Friday Night Lights and oil; Lubbock, home of Texas Tech and Buddy Holly; or old El Paso, home of a delicious line of refried beans and taco seasonings.  I suspect the majority will look at you as if you're from outer space.  There is rarely a reason to go to West Texas.

Pody's BBQ is the exception to the rule.  Pody's is located in Pecos, TX, the home of the Pecos River, Pecos Bill and the first rodeo ever held in the world (according to the Pecos Chamber of Commerce, that is).

My trip to Pecos began in Lubbock, TX, aka the Hub City, after a visit to see the Tech Child.  A quick 3.5 hour detour to Pody's on the way to Dallas sounded like a good idea. My route took me through Midland, TX, a city better known as the home of oil.  For much of the route, the view was like the trip from Lubbock to Dallas...flat.  Farther south, the landscape began changing as acres of farmland were replaced by undulating pump jacks and Roman candles of flaming gas.  It was the land of black gold, Texas tea, and I was in the thick of it.

Quicker than a bug splat on a windshield, the Midland skyline came into view -- a couple of tall buildings and some shorter ones.  There are three words that describe Midland: oil, pickups and mud.  It's the home of Texas' petroleum companies, and pickups dominate the city.  From the north side through the city to the west side, my vehicle stood out like a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest. Midland is having a perpetual pickup party, and I wasn't invited.

In Texas, we like to say if you don't like the weather just wait a minute...it'll change.  About 1/2 hour outside of Pecos, after my rental car lost the manhood challenge to a pickup, a gauzy veil of sleet began to fall, coating the car with a light sheen of water and West Texas dirt.  The 54 degree temp had quickly dropped to 34 degrees, rain mixed with mud and big drops of sleet crashed into my windshield.

I took the exit to Pecos, and slowed down as I approached Pody's.  It was nearly 11 am and only two other vehicles...pickups of course...were in the wet, dirt parking lot.  Pody's exterior is more reminiscent of a pawnshop than a BBQ joint (it's actually an old laundromat).  The quaint barred windows and 50s-style brown brick may repel some who will choose the familiar Sonic down the road.  That's a mistake, and the locals know it.

Pody's is a small BBQ joint with a big reputation.  The Wall Street Journal wrote about them in 2019, putting Pody's at the epicenter of West Texas oil culture and illustrating how the oil boom has driven prices up for simple luxuries.  After reading the story, I was worried that I would arrive to find nothing but brisket shavings priced at $50 a pound.  I've got news for the Wall Street Journal.  The oil guys might love it, but there's no reason not to make a stop at Pody's.

The Campos family, who own Pody's, was extremely pleasant. After explaining the purpose of my brief detour, they offered me a free T-shirt and laughingly told me that if I wore it during my next trip, I would get a free meal.  Well of course, they knew I wasn't coming back to Pecos anytime soon, but their hearts were in the right place.  I ordered my meal...moist brisket, sausage, turkey and two sides...hominy and green beans.  Israel Campos, the top dog at Pody's, headed to the kitchen and personally prepared my tray.

When he brought out my lunch, I nearly cried.  It was the most perfect, picturesque BBQ tray I had ever seen.  Mr. Campos can compete with the best in Texas, and he knows how to 'gram his meat. The brisket at Pody's brisket was moist and satisfying...perfectly cooked and seasoned.  The sausage and turkey were delicious too, thoroughly enjoyable.  And the green beans and hominy? Hummina hummina!


By the time I left, the line at Pody's had picked up considerably and every table was full.  This is what happens when your reputation is built on great food. Pody's was worth the trip and I promise, oil be back.

Comments

Popular Posts