#50 - TYLER'S BARBECUE - Two Thumbs Up!

During my three-year quest to visit all of Texas Monthly's Top 50 BBQ joints, I've been to almost every corner of the state for barbecue.  With Snow's BBQ in Lexington closed for Covid, my final stop would take me to the farthest northern reaches of the Lone Star State...the Texas Panhandle, home of Tyler's Barbecue in Amarillo. 

Amarillo isn't a place you just drop in on.  It takes time and commitment.  If you don't live in Texas you truly can't grasp the size and scope of the state.  On a map, for example, it doesn't look like a long drive from Dallas to Amarillo, just the length of a couple of fingers.  But the two cities are about 380 miles apart.  If you took a 380-mile trip on the East Coast, you could start in Connecticut and hit New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania before you ever got to Virginia.    

Amarillo's heritage is in beef.  It's the Pinnacle of Protein, one of the world's biggest cattle-shipping cities.  Today it's home to several meat packing companies which process nearly 29 percent of the U.S. beef supply.  Amarillo is also known for its nuclear bomb plant, large helium field, the Cadillac Ranch and a lawsuit against Oprah Winfrey about...beef.

Besides Tyler's Barbecue, one of the most well-known restaurants in Amarillo is a famous Route 66 tourist trap, The Big Texan Steak Ranch.  People come from everywhere to take on the Big Texan Challenge.  Eat a 72 oz steak, shrimp cocktail, baked potato and salad with a roll and butter in less than one hour and you get it -- and the meat sweats -- for free.  

Many years ago I psyched myself up to do the challenge.  After all, a 72 oz. steak is only about the size of a small chihuahua.  When I saw the add-ons, which would have made me blow like Mount Vesuvius, I chickened out.  I still regret it.    

My first experience with Tyler's Barbecue was at Smoked in 2018.  Even though I sampled only a small piece of brisket on a toothpick, I was impressed and told Tyler I was excited about visiting the store in the future.  Shortly after I finished sampling at all the booths, I was Great White Whaling in the middle of the park.  It was a good day.  

Of course, after two years and more than 45 different BBQ plates (not including repeats and off-list BBQ joints), my recollection of that first bite of Tyler's barbecue was a little hazy.  

We arrived at Tyler's Barbecue right as it opened on a Saturday morning.  Several cars were already in the parking lot...always a good sign.  When the doors opened, everyone masked up and headed inside, standing at a safe social distance.  The place looked great -- the walls were adorned with plenty of local and state awards -- and it smelled even better.  

As we waited in line, Tyler himself came by and I blurted out, "You're Tyler aren't you?  I'm excited to be here, you're the 50th restaurant to visit on my Texas Monthly passport!"  It was as if a moron had taken over my brain...a typical day.  

Tyler was very gracious and made sure that we felt welcome.  After we ordered our meal....brisket, ribs, sausage and sides...he came out to talk with us about my quest, my favorite BBQ joints and how he learned the business during tailgates.  There's a great story about Tyler in Texas Monthly, check it out.  

We headed outside with our order of  brisket, ribs, sausage and sides.  At the first bite of brisket, everything came rushing back.  Tyler's brisket is outstanding, the kind that makes you stop and savor every bite.  The ribs were full of flavor, and the sausage was perfection.  Look at the bark on that brisket!    

Tyler's was the perfect way to finish my quest to visit all of the BBQ joints.  

After the meal, we posed for a picture and Tyler suggested we take a thumbs up shot, because "Everybody's got a little cool in them."  Then he told me about the time Henry Winkler (aka The Fonz from Happy Days) dined at the restaurant and they hit it off.  Now Tyler is one of the few people he follows on Twitter.  Pretty heady stuff for a pit master!    

As we left, the parking lot was full and the lunch line was building.  My stomach was stuffed and my Texas Monthly BBQ Passport was complete.  Three years after it began, I had completed my quest with the coolest pit master around, Tyler Frazer.  

Thanks for making it a special day, Tyler.  If I ever get the chance to visit Amarillo again I am definitely making a stop at your BBQ joint.  Two thumbs way up!

Comments

Popular Posts