#8 - MILLER'S SMOKEHOUSE is Belton's Ace in the Hole

It's a short trip from I-35
to Miller's Smokehouse.
Miller's Smokehouse in Belton was the 8th stop in my quest to visit all 50 of Texas' best BBQ joints.  It's in a prime location in Downtown Belton, about 1/2 mile west of I-35.  It's about 1,500 brisket-lengths from I-35 to their front door. Or one 1/2-mile-long brisket, take your pick.

Places like Miller's Smokehouse are why I'm excited about visiting all 50 of the best BBQ joints in Texas.  I've lived in Texas for over 30 years, and never had a reason to go to Belton.

To me, it's a mythical place somewhere west of I-35 near the Bell County Expo Centerwhere George Strait once performed.  But as George once sang, you've got to have an ace in the hole and for Belton, that is Miller's Smokehouse.




Ye old Miller's Smokehouse


Miller's started as a side business, doing taxidermy and meat processing. Initially they sold sausage wraps, which proved to be very popular because, you know, meat.  In 2008, they added pork and brisket made the menu in 2009.

Ye new Miller's Smokehouse!


The Millers went full-time into the restaurant business in 2011.  No taxidermy anymore, unless you count patrons stuffed with their awesome BBQ.

We stopped in on a sunny Sunday morning, right as the church crowd was starting to line up.  The parking lot across the street had plenty of space and we jumped in line.  Miller's looks like it's located in a converted garage.  Open ceiling, exposed air ducts and a great patio out front.

I really liked the feel of the place.  While some of the "craft" restaurants have a manufactured feel to them, this one felt more organic to me.  Or maybe I have a bias against chalk-board menus that look like they're straight out of the Chili's playbook.

I love talking to people in line at the top 50 BBQ joints.  They tend to be friendlier, willing to share their experiences and make recommendations about what they like on the menu.  There was definite consensus about the food at Miller's Smokehouse.  Everything was good according to the locals.  And I can't argue with them.

The brisket, sausage and turkey from Miller's Smokehouse are outstanding.  Look at them down there, reclining in their smokey, seasoned goodness. We also had their green beans and potato salad, which were both fantastic...not too sweet and not too salty, pretty much perfect.


After we picked up our order, we planned to sit on the patio.  However, we had our dog with us, and the Belton Health Department frowns at pets on the patio.  No worries, the good folks at Miller's Smokehouse are service-minded.  Not only do they sell great food, but they know how to help their patrons find an appropriate place to sit.  In our case, they directed us towards the picnic tables under an oak tree behind the restaurant.  


Sounds sketchy, you say?  Not when you have a front-row view of the big ol' smokers that keep things cooking at Miller's.  They were putting on quite a show, smoke slowly curling out the sides, the smell of brisket wafting through the neighborhood.  Pretty much a vegan's nightmare.

I've been thinking a lot about Miller's Smokehouse since my visit.  Besides the Czech Stop in West, it may be one of my top places to stop along I-35.  And you know what? I bet George wouldn't have it any other way.


George left this to the good folks at the Czech Stop.
Look for it next time you're standing in line!



Comments

Popular Posts