#16 - HARRIS BAR-B-QUE Feels Like Home

My parents, who live near Waxahachie, first told me about Harris Bar-B-Que and I have to admit, I was skeptical. Then again, I have a bias against most things Waxahachie.  My family lived there briefly in the '80s after several years in Houston.  The gap between 5A Houston and 4A Waxahachie was immense.  We went from a city famous for the Oilers and the Goodyear Blimp to one better known for high school football and gingerbread houses.
There just wasn't much to Waxahachie in those days.  Of course, I experienced all the fine food the city had to offer at the time. After visiting K-Bob's Steak House and the local Dairy Queen, I had pretty much completed the circuit.  For entertainment, the Kroger supermarket had Galaga and Donkey Kong video machines, in addition to a coin-operated pony, which was much better than cruising the strip on Fridays. Thank goodness cellphones didn't exist back then.

Nowadays, the longest I am in Waxahachie is the length of time it takes me to fly through the city limits going 80 MPH on I-35. Did I mention I have a bias against Waxahachie?

Darn you, Harris Bar-B-Que.  Your greatness has given me a weakness for Waxahachie and a reason to return again and again.  The first time I had brisket from Harris Bar-B-Q, my folks bought it for a family gathering.  The aluminum tray gave the brisket a delightful glow, glistening like a flavorful firefly.  Each slice of brisket smelled of heavenly smoke and tasted like it too.  Needless to say, I was hooked and began planning an actual trip.


When I finally made it to Harris Bar-B-Q, it was late August. Waxahachie was dressed in its summer finest...dry yellow grass and road dust...and welcomed me with a wave of 96 degree heat. Driving into Waxahachie, Harris Bar-B-Q stood on the corner, a red beacon beckoning barbecue fanatics to crash on its shores.  So we did.

Don't be fooled by its shack-like appearance.  Harris is definitely one of the 50 best BBQ joints in Texas.  You can tell by the sign hanging proudly outside and the smell of smoked meat pulling you in.


Here's what I immediately noticed about Harris Bar-B-Que.

1.  It's intimate.  There were four of us, and we pretty much filled up the place.
2.  It's local.  And by local, I mean it's country.  Folks aren't joy-riding down here from Highland Park to sample the fare. And the Waxahatchees  Waxahachiites Waxahachians like it that way.
3. It's award-winning. Ellis County loves Harris Bar-B-Que and they have their own "trophy corner" with trophies and certificates.  They're also one of Texas Monthly's Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas (of course).

While the interior may have been small, the flavor was anything but.  I placed my order - brisket, ribs and sausage - and found a seat.  There, nestled in little styrofoam cubes, were some of the tastiest smoked meats and sides in Ellis County.

Harris Bar-B-Que brisket, ribs and sausage plus
potato salad, cole slaw
and a couple slices of toasted bread.
Oh, it was as good as the first time.  The brisket was juicy and tender, the sausage had a perfect bite.  The rib meat fell off the bone.  Potato salad and cole slaw tasted great, straight from a church picnic recipe book.  As an added bonus, the Harris folks toast the bread too.  Nice touch that helped balance the entire meal and make it feel homey.

In fact, my main impression from visiting Harris Bar-B-Que is that it feels like home.  At least, if I could make BBQ as good as what they make at home.  No tricked up decor.  No hipster menu items.  Just good ol' BBQ in a good ol' building.  Loved it and you'll love it too.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts